The main goal of the Communication Strategy in project management is to stimulate the participation of all stakeholders and structures in the project, supporting or actively participating in it.
The strategy is developed to help develop and maintain relationships with senior management, structures and/or departments involved in the project, external investors, external partners, the purpose of which is to provide the information needed to reach an informed agreement, identify emerging issues, raising the level of understanding, generating support for initiatives and programs for good and transparent governance, clarifying key issues and identifying problem areas.
Principles of the Communication Strategy in Project Management
The communication strategy in project management is based on the following basic principles:
- Reporting and publicity of the project activity – creating conditions for holding regular meetings and continuous communication between the participants, through Teams or ZOOM.
- Providing balanced and objective information, as well as providing an opportunity for all participants to express their expectations and suggestions for the work process and the stages of creation and marketing of the product.
- Transparency – informing all participants about the implementation of the activities under the Communication Strategy;
- Cost efficiency – achieving maximum results with available resources.
Priorities of the Communication Strategy
- Priority 1: Raising the awareness of the participants about the stage of development of the project and the problems that have arisen.
- Priority 2: Building a unified information standard between senior management, project manager, product manager, and other structures in the project implementation. approved Communication plan is prepared by the project manager. Reference: https://bvop.org/learn/documentations-management/#section1.1.8 (Section Communication Plan, BVOP.org)
- Priority 3: Formation of realistic ideas about the efficiency, activity, and opportunities for creating a favorable business.
- Priority 4: Creating sustainable models for professional career and authority, following the professional and ethical standards adopted in the code of ethics.
Objectives of the Communication Strategy
Main goal – Stimulation of the active dialogue and the involvement of all stakeholders in the processes of forming good and transparent governance, including by providing opportunities for the structures to express their opinion on the project management.
Specific communication objectives
To stimulate the participation and support of all stakeholders to ensure good and transparent project management;
Explain the overall effect of good governance, thus contributing to more active action by stakeholders at all levels; Ref: https://businessprogrammanagement.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/the-certified-project-manager-to-the-stakeholders/
To provide channels for communication between the top management, middle management, and the structures for project implementation.
Defining the target groups is important because each group has its own needs and priorities. Determining the information needs of the target audiences will take into account the opinions, knowledge, and attitudes of the identified stakeholders regarding the availability of information needed to make decisions related to good project management.
The main target groups of the strategy are the top management, the project manager, the product manager, the software team, the technical team, the production units. Read “Top tips and trends for managers in 2021”, (Samantha Rhine, https://www.businesspad.org/top-tips-and-trends-for-managers-in-2021/)
Achieving the specific objectives of this strategy depends on planning the scope and nature of the main messages to be addressed to the priority and corresponding target audiences. Changes in the existing mass public attitudes require the choice of a strategy for indirect access to different target audiences.
Targeted communication, which could form sustainable ideas and evaluation criteria among the representatives of the priority target audiences, guarantees to a much greater extent the achievement of the ultimate goals. That is why, to achieve a lasting change in mass attitudes, it is necessary to concentrate efforts on ensuring effective communication with target audiences that have the character of reference groups.
Basic forms of communication
Communication type strategy is built based on adaptability of communication mechanisms and pre-set positivism regarding the launched essence of the messages.
The communication strategy is also based on the understanding that the media are equal participants in the communication process, and they are assigned the role of mediators. The characteristic of the communication type of strategy is that it can be used not only when the power resource is used, but also when the project enters the public space.
Plan for the implementation of the communication strategy in project management practices
The plan for implementation of the communication strategy in the project management practices determines the way of conducting and managing the communication campaign.
The objectives of the strategy can be achieved by applying several basic approaches, which are operationalized inappropriate types of activities.
They have tailored to the relevant target groups and the nature of the messages addressed to those target groups.
This implementation plan covers a one-year period during which major activities will be carried out such as:
Forming a team for implementation of the Communication Strategy within the project and building its capacity to implement communication campaigns.
Starting the activities for determining the final parameters of the project by determining a calendar of the main events to be included in the general plan for the implementation of the planned activities.
Realization of the goals of the Communication Strategy by defining and building basic elements of the communication campaign, selection of specific events to be used for the campaign, elaboration of specific information and advertising materials, following the target audiences, and selected communication channels.
The plan is related to providing opportunities for:
- provision of information;
- problem identification;
- raising the level of understanding;
The activities are the products of the invested resources. According to these resources and the audiences to which they are directed, the activities from the plan for implementation of the Communication Strategy are grouped in the following typology:
The information activities are related to the establishment of a constant flow of information, developed following the information needs of the different target audiences.
The explanatory activities are related to acquainting the target groups with the opportunities, conditions, procedures, etc., related to the participation of the audiences in the management and decision-making processes.